Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blog Assignment #3

1. Explain what “to give an argument” means in this book.
According in this book “to given an argument” means to offer a set of reasons or evidence in support of a conclusion (page XI paragraph two). This means an argument is state a difference in opinion and fact to support premise and a conclusion. An argument can justify in a difference point of view and many reasons.

2. What are the reasons Weston gives in support of his claim, “arguments are essential”
Weston gives in support of his claim, “arguments are essential” because he has found that people just need a list of reminders instant of lengthy introductory explanation. His reason that an arguments are essential because he tries to find out which views are better than others. He think that not all an argument is equal.

3. Explain why many students tend to “write an essay, but not an argument”.
In his book, Weston argues that many students tend to write an essay, but not an argument because of the way in which they had learned to inform in high school. Basically, high school students are expected to argue by using only a fact and record evidence. That a reason many students to write papers are full of fact an argument, but sometimes on their own reason for that argument.

4. Construct two short arguments (one "for" and one "against") as modeled in the Week 3 Assignment section in Blackboard. Put each one in "elements form".Against

Against argument
Arguable issue: whether or not students should attending college.
Conclusion: students should attending college
Premises: students should attending college because
1. They get better pay on the job
2. They want to improve social skill

For argument
Arguable issue: whether or not students should attending college.
Conclusion: students decide not attending college.
Premises: students decide not attending college.
1. They can find a job without college degree.
2. Every student has different ability intelligence.

5. Review the seven rules in chapter one. Briefly discuss how your argument demonstrates that each rule was applied, in the construction of your arguments above
When I was constructing my argument, I had to make sure that I did it the right way and followed instruction. My premises and conclusion were clearly distinguish. Premises and conclusion were concrete and concise and both elements were state clearly to understand and focus on the topic. Since the instruction for the argument state that I should present my argument in the elements form, my argument was expressed in natural in an order formatting allowed. According to the rule number five in this book is telling us to avoid loaded language, so my argument was not expressed emotionally loaded word. I think an argument that I was mentioning on the above it applied to the rule number seven which was stick to one meaning for each term. If I have to write an argument paragraph, I have always start with premise and then conclusion.

6. Review the three rules in the appendix named, “Definitions”. In your own words, discuss how you took these rules into consideration as you constructed your arguments.
After I read appendix definition on page 79, I found that my premises and conclusion were clearly understand and state specified point on the topic. I was not sure that the terms I used in my argument was clear and specific to the point, but some terms I used in my argument consisted to each other. I was able satisfied to the rule number three because I did include supporting detail in my argument.

7. Good posts demonstrate:
Sincere reflection, effort, and analysis

Answers that are substantial (at least one large paragraph each
Consistent mention, citation, and integration of the assigned readings
Correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Correctly titled posts
How many points do you honestly feel your post this week deserves? Justify your answer.

I would say that I should receive 24-25 points because I am not sure that my answers to the questions were all correct and I might have some grammar, punctuation errors in my sentences.

No comments: